Vacation Grilling Recipes
These delicious and easy to make dinner-on-the grill recipes are perfect for vacation meals! Find a dish for every member of your travel crew and pair each meal with a Tailored Stay cocktail, you won’t be disappointed.
Lemon Rosemary Grilled Chicken
If you think grilled chicken breasts are dry and boring, you’ll be shocked. Just follow the recipe and the simple tips outlined below. You won’t believe the difference!
- finely grated zest from 1 medium or large lemon
- 1 ½ tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon crush red pepper
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts trimmed
- lemon halves optional
1. Heat grill to medium-high then clean and oil grates.
2. While grill is heating, make the rub and finishing sauce. For the rub, combine lemon zest, 1 tablespoon of the chopped rosemary, garlic salt, crushed red pepper, black ground pepper and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a small bowl. Stir well. Remove approximately half of the rub mixture and set aside.
3. Rub the chicken breasts on all sides with the rub mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit for 10-30 minutes.
4. For the finishing sauce, add 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, 1/2 tablespoon chopped rosemary and 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the remaining rub. Stir to combine and set aside.
5. Add chicken breasts to preheated, oiled grill and allow to cook for about 4 minutes or until light golden brown. Grill marks are fine, but don’t allow the breasts to get dark char marks. This will create a leathery tough exterior. See Café Tips above in post.
6. Flip chicken to opposite side and grill for another 4-6 minutes until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 155˚F.
7. Remove chicken from the grill to a serving platter. Immediately, drizzle with the finishing sauce and tent with foil for 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy. (Chicken will continue to cook for a few minutes after being removed from the grill to reach recommended temp of 160˚F. – see Tips above.)
8. If grilling lemon halves, brush them lightly with olive oil and grill until golden brown with grill marks. Serve with chicken for garnish.
Steak and Veggie Kabobs
Steak Kebabs are the one of the tastiest summertime dinners! These are layered with juicy tender pieces of flavorful, marinated beef and colorful quartet of tender veggies. An exciting recipe the whole family can agree on! The recipe itself is really easy to make, it just takes a bit of time to get everything threaded onto the skewers so grab a friend to make it go twice as fast. You’ll love them for entertaining and cook outs. Just keep in mind they’ll go quick so you may want to do a double batch. One of the best steak recipes! Cubes of steak are soaked in a flavorful marinade for hours to absorb flavor and make them tender, then they’re threaded onto skewers with fresh veggies and grilled to get that addictive char. Makes 10 Kebabs.
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1/4 c soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp Dijon
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 lbs sirloin steak (look for thicker steaks), cut into 1 1/4 inch pieces
- 8 oz button or cremini mushrooms, halved (unless small, keep whole)
- 3 bell peppers (1 red, 1 green, 1 yellow) cut into 1 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion diced into chunks (about 1 1/4-inch)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for brushing grill grates
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 10 wooden skewer sticks soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
1. For the marinade: In a mixing bowl whisk together all marinade ingredients.
2. For the kebabs: place steak into a gallon size re-sealable bag. Pour marinade over steak then seal bag while pressing out excess air and message marinade over steak. Transfer to refrigerator and allow to marinate 3 – 6 hours.
3. Preheat a grill over medium-high heat to about 425 degrees (partway through preheating clean grill grates if they aren’t already clean).
4. With veggies on cutting board, drizzle with oil and lightly toss to coat (I actually don’t toss the onion because I like it to stay in chunks, when you thread the onion on layer in chunks about 2 – 3 slices so they don’t burn up).
5. Sprinkle veggies evenly with garlic powder and season with salt and pepper. To assemble kebabs layer steak and veggies onto kebabs in desired order, work to fit 4 steak pieces onto each kebab (I like to layer 2 onion slices together).
6. Brush grill grates lightly with oil. Place kebabs on grill and grill until center of steak registers about 140 – 145 degrees for medium doneness, turning kebabs occasionally, about 8 – 9 minutes. Serve warm.
Grilled Pear and Sweet Potato Salad
Truly a delicious grilled salad recipe. The combination of sweet potato, pears, and dressing marries well with the feta cheese. While this salad benefits from the peppery flavor of the arugula, you can substitute this with your favorite salad greens.
- 2 sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into diagonal 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 large pear (peeled, cored and cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices)
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
For the Dressing:
- 1/3 cup apply jelly (not apple butter)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar (preferably Zinfandel)
- 1 tablespoon water
- pinch of salt
- olive oil
1. To prepare dressing, add apple jelly, red wine vinegar, water, and salt to a saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer until mixture has reduced to a syrupy consistency. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature before using.
2. Place sweet potato slices into a large stock pot with water and cook for 10-13 minutes. Potatoes should be soft, but not all the way cooked through. Remove from water, pay dry with paper towel and place onto baking sheet, cutting board, or platter. Brush with olive oil and add salt.
3. Carefully place sweet potato and pear slices onto grill grate. Cook both for 3-4 minutes per side. Watch for burning. Once potatoes and pears have good grill marks and a caramelized surface, remove from heat and place onto clean baking sheet. This will allow them to cool slightly before assembling.
4. To assemble: place salad greens onto large serving dish, top with sweet potatoes and pears, then crumbled feta cheese. Drizzle cooled dressing onto salad and garnish with chopped pecans.
The Best Steak Marinade Ever
Total Time: 15 Minutes Yields: 4
We are foodies here at Tailored Stay. So when we say that we’ve tried dozens of steak marinades over the years, collectively it may be in the hundreds. After plenty of experimentation, we’ve concocted the winning combo and haven’t met anyone who disagrees yet. Don’t take our word for it, though. Try this mouth watering, tenderizing marinade for yourself. *Prepare 24 hours ahead of grilling.*
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 TBSP Tarragon
- Salt & Pepper to tase
Combine all ingredients in an airtight container or bag. Add the steak and let marinade in the refrigerator overnight. The vinegar will tenderize while Tarragon masks it’s taste. Grill to preferred temperature and enjoy!
*Side note: When it comes to steak, the cut of meat is very important. Please specify in your order comments weight and type i.e, filet, ribeye… you want and we’ll get it fresh from the butcher. Market Price will be applied in addition to your online order