Easy & Delicious Breakfast Recipes For Your Vacation
English Muffin Egg and Veggie Sandwiches
Total Time: 25 minutes Yield: 8 servings
You can’t beat the delicious combination of mushrooms, onions, peppers and cream cheese!
Leave out the red pepper flakes for a less spicy taste.
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 7 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 whole wheat English muffins, split and toasted
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
1. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, red pepper, onion and seasonings; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Remove from pan.
2. Wipe skillet clean and coat with cooking spray; place skillet over medium heat. Add eggs; cook and stir just until eggs are thickened and no liquid egg remains. Add vegetables; heat through, stirring gently.
3. Spread muffin bottoms with cream cheese; top with egg mixture. Replace tops.
Cheesy Bacon Vegetable Strata
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 1-hour Yields: Serves 8
A tried and true crowd-pleaser, this easy Strata is best prepared the night before.
For the cheese, bacon and vegetable strata:
- 12 thick slices of White Bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ¼ cup crumbled cooked Bacon
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 ½ cups chopped fresh Mushrooms
- 12 Eggs
- 2 ½ cups Half-and-Half
- Optional – 1/4 moderate sautéed chopped Onion and/or chopped Green Peppers
- Toss cubed Bread with Bacon, Cheese, Mushrooms (sautéed Onions and Green Pepper if desired), and pour into a 9×13” baking pan
- Whisk together Eggs, Half-and-Half, and Mustard until smooth, then pour evenly over cubed bread
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight
- Preheat oven to 350
- Remove plastic wrap from the baking dish, and bake Strata in the preheated oven until the top is golden brown and eggs are set, about an hour
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving
Organic French Toast
Total Time: 20 minutes Yields: Serves 4
Tastes just like the ones Grandma used to make but with a healthier debut.
For the French Toast:
- 1 cup whole milk (or coconut milk for dairy-free/Paleo)
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of Celtic sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ghee, leaf lard, duck fat, etc. (any heat that can be used at a high heat)
- 8 thick slices dense of stale bread (I used my grain-free banana bread)*
For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Fresh Berries
- 1 cup whipped cream (optional)
1. Whisk together the milk, egg yolks, maple syrup, cinnamon, salt and vanilla extract in an 8×8″ baking dish. Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat for 2 minutes.
2. Place each piece of bread into the milk mixture. Let the each side of the bread sit for 20 seconds. Using a pair of tongs, transfer the soaked bread over to the hot pan. Let the bread cook for 1-2 minutes until the bottom side is golden brown. Using a spatula, flip the bread and continue cooking an additional 1-2 minutes until the second side is golden brown.
3. Serve immediately with maple syrup, berries and whipped cream (if using).
- I like to place the bread on a cooling rack that has been set over a baking sheet and leave it out overnight so the bread gets stale. If you forgot to do this step, you can put the bread in a 300 degree F oven for about 10 minutes, until stale.