Tasty Dinner Recipes
Total Time: 30 minutes Yield: 6 Servings
This greek orzo salad is made with cucumbers, chickpeas, tomatoes, red onion, feta and herbs, all tossed in a herb dressing. A simple yet hearty pasta salad that can be served as a main course or side dish.
- 8 ounces dried orzo pasta cooked in salted water according to package directions, then cooled
- 1 1/2 cups cucumber diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the orzo pasta, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, chickpeas, red onion, parsley and feta cheese in a large bowl.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, oregano and salt and pepper.
3. Pour the dressing over the pasta mixture. Toss to coat, then serve.
Cheryl’s Southern Pork
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 6-8 hours on high, 4 on low
Expect leftovers of this delightfully simple yet delicious pork to carry over for lunch the next day.
- 8-10 lbs pork shoulder
- Paprika Pepper
- Smoked Paprika (mostly)
- Mix a generous portion of spices into a bowl to create the dry rub
- Lay the raw pork on a clean surface or parchment paper and massage the dry rub onto the meat evenly
- Place meat into a large crockpot
- Add 1 cup water
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours
- The meat will be white and easily shreddable when it’s done
- Serve on corn or flour tortillas with cheese, leftover cilantro and diced onion
Steak & Chicken Burrito Bowls
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes
Anticipate happy bellies all around the dinner table. Serves 10. Reduce the amount of meat for smaller crowds.
- 3-4 pounds cubed chicken
- 3-4 pounds cubed sirloin steak
- 2 (8 oz) packages of Frontera Classic Fajita Skillet Sauce
- 2 (8 oz) packages of Frontera Key Lime Shrimp Taco Skillet Sauce (goes great with Chicken too)
- 1 large (16 oz) can of black or pinto beans
- 4 – 6 cups brown rice or white rice
- Shredded cheese
- Sour Cream
- Heat two large skillets and grease with oil or butter
- Add chicken and steak -don’t mix meat, one in each
- Cook through turning so all sides are evenly cooked
- Add the sauces and let simmer for 10 – 15 minutes
- Meanwhile, cook the rice and beans
- Chop tomatoes, onion and cilantro
- Arrange all toppings along the counter
- Layer bowls with rice, beans, meat and individual topping choices
Serving: Everyone gets a bowl and can go down the line and assemble their own, in true Chipotle-style.
One Dish Healthy Mexican Casserole
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes
*Vegetarian or non-vegetarian option
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 bell pepper or mix 1/2 of 2 varieties (red, green or yellow)
- 1 jalapeno or hatch chiles *optional
- Frozen corn
- 1 14 oz can black beans
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes -we like fire-roasted
- 4 cups brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsps ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Chicken, beef or plant-based protein *optional
- Cilantro *optional
- Lime or lime juice *optional
- Avocado *optional
- Sour cream *optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Cook the rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, dice the onion, peppers and jalapeno or chiles. Heat a large skillet to medium and add the olive oil. Saute the onion and pepper mix for about 4 minutes until they begin to turn translucent. Add the chicken breasts* (skip if vegetarian) lime juice* and spice mix. Cook the chicken thoroughly and remove from the pan. Add the beans, rice, tomatoes, corn and cheese to the pan. Shred the chicken and return to the mixture in the pan. Transfer the ingredients into a greased casserole or baking dish. Bake for about 15 minutes, until the cheese begins to bubble. It can be finished under the broiler if needed to get the bubbly cheese effect.
Add toppings of your choice such as cilantro, avocado and sour cream.
Mandarin Chicken Thighs
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes
I don’t know about you but we’ve seen a shortage of white meat at stores as of late. Don’t let that turn you off from chicken. There is a lot you can do with the flavor of chicken thighs.
And just to be clear. You have two options here.
1. Buy premade mango sauce
2. Make your own
We won’t judge. We promise!
- 4-6 chicken thighs
- 1 mango
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- Salt -to taste
Rinse the chicken thighs and pat down with a paper towel. Place them to the side. Add all ingredients to a blender and blend well. Put the thighs and marinade in an air-tight container or plastic bag. Let the items marinade in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
When you are ready to cook, fire up the barbie! Enjoy fresh air in a socially distanced well-ventilated space.
Grill the chicken until a bit crispy on the outside and a safe internal temperature of over 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Enjoy!
*Optional: Serve with Cilantro and we suggest it on top of your favorite rice.
Pro Tip: Double the recipe for multiple meals. They are delicious the next day cold.